HTML/JavaScript

Monday, August 26, 2013

Read: Tuesdays with Morrie

Today is not any leisure day, but I am just trying to blog while waiting for another appointment at night. A few days back when I supposed to study for my exam, I couldn't take my hands off the book "Tuesdays with Morrie" which is written by Mitch Albom (a student of Morrie Schwartz) about the lessons lectured by Morrie while facing death. Morrie is a sociology professor lecturing at Brandeis University. After 16 years since Mitch graduated, Morrie was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, a terminal neurological disease.  One night while watching TV, Mitch discovered about his old professor's condition when Morrie got interviewed by Ted Koppel on Nightline. He then decided to fly over to visit his professor on a weekly basis and these visits always fall on a Tuesday, just like the old days in University when they discussed over Uni projects on a Tuesday. So, they claimed themselves as the Tuesdays people. Hence the book is entitled "Tuesdays with Morrie". :D

About the same time last year, I was reading "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch who wrote the book while he was having pancreatic cancer. I thought "Tuesday with Morrie" would be quite alike but NO! I can assure you that both are good reads. 

Below are my favorite lines from "Tuesday with Morrie", this may give you an insight of it. :)



1. Accept what you are able to do and what you are not able to do. Accept the past as past, without denying it or discarding it. Learn to forgive yourself and to forgive others. Do not assume that it is too late to get involved.

2. Have you found someone to share your heart with? Are you at peace with yourself? Are you trying to be as human as you can be?


3. Dying is only one thing to be sad over. Living unhappily is something else.


4. The culture we have does not make people feel good about themselves. And you have to be strong enough to say if the culture doesn't work, don't buy it.


5. So many people walk around with a meaningless life. They seem half-asleep, even when they're busy doing things they think are important. This is because they're chasing the wrong things. The way you get meaning into your life is to devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to your community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.


6. Everybody knows they are going to die but nobody believes it. If we did, we would do things differently. There is a better approach; to know you are going to die, and to be prepared for it at any time. That way you can actually be more involved in your life while you are living. How? Do what the Buddhists do. Every day, have a little bird on your shoulder that asks, 'Is today the day? Am I ready? Am I doing all I need to do? Am I being the person I want to be?' 


7. Once you learn how to die, you learn how to live.


8. You know what really gives you satisfaction? Offering others what you have to give. I don't mean money, I mean your time, your concern, your storytelling. This is how you start to get respect, by offering something that you have. Devote yourself to loving others, devote yourself to the community around you, and devote yourself to creating something that gives you purpose and meaning.


9. Do the kind of things that come from the heart. When you do, you won't be dissatisfied, you won't be envious, you won't be longing for somebody else's things. On the contrary, you will be overwhelmed with what comes back.


10. As long as we can love each other, and remember the feeling of love we had, we can die without ever really going away. All the love you created is still there. All the memories are still there. You live on - in the hearts of everyone you have touched and nurtured while you were here. Death ends a life, not a relationship.


11.



I had seen so many selfish faces, including myself so I know how ugly it is. Recently I am very caught up in my life with myself, just myself. I would say that I was being very selfish to the extent that I just want to do my own things and have things in my way. I fought with my loved ones, trying to gain understanding from them but, I realized that I was being so wrapped up with myself that I wasn't willing to give in. As I am blogging now, everything is resolved.  I used to see productivity as squeezing in as many things as possible into my to do list, which is similar to what Morrie said as busy doing things that I think are important

I think reading is quite a nice way to reflect on your life. From this book, Morrie taught me how to be more selfless. I love how he sees things open-heatedly. Ultimately, I learn how to love again. :)

Love wins. Love always wins.


Chloe

0 comments:

Post a Comment